Next 14 October it will be held the 9th session of LAB Metadecidim on Radical democracy stories to discuss about narratives for citizen participation and network democracy.
- Date: Wednesday, February 14th
- Time: 10:00 – 14:15 CEST
- Place: Fabra i Coats Fàbrica de Creació. Carrer de Sant Adrià, 20, 08030 Barcelona. Tercera planta
- Registration and Program
From the beginning of the existence of humanity, we have told stories, orally or in writing, pictorial or symbolic. In recent decades, narrative forms have proliferated mediated by communication technologies, such as the press, radio or television and, more recently, the Internet, social networks and mobile applications. We have, then, an extensive range of possibilities to build stories. As there are different ways of constructing stories,there are also numerous stories.
One of the key political stories in the last three centuries, and particularly in recent decades, has been the democracy. 15M was a foundational moment from the perspective of the democratic story. Firstly, it opened a narrative that denounced a deep crisis of political representation and appealed to the ideal of a real democracy. Secondly, it relied on social networks (corporative such as Facebook and Twitter, but also alternatives such as n-1) to collectively create, organize and extend this narrative. Story networks (or network stories) such as those generated by 15M may condition the media agenda or public opinion.
The goal of this Metadecidim Lab is to open a debate on how to think, build, share and collectively analyse possible narratives about radical democracy and network participation. Some of the questions are:
- What theoretical frameworks allow us to understand the narrative worlds of participation and radical democracy?
- What narratives exist about radical democracy?
- Which ones do we want to build?
- How do we organize narrative production devices?
- How may we construct collaboratively these empowering narratives in a context where various public-common technopolitical projects are being deployed?
- How can we analyse these networked narratives? What techniques, analysis tools, knowledge and practices can help us?
Metadecidm Labs are co-organised by CNSC research group within the framework of Decidim project.